Tuesday 26 January 2016

Being the Examiner

Hey Guys! 

 Today, within my lesson, our class were given different other media students thriller videos to watch and then given a mark scheme with a clear set aim to mark the different thrillers based on what we had seen. We all watched the videos then made our own individual verdicts on what we thought they should get marked. However, we found out after we had done speaking to the teacher that we had all marked the videos pretty harshly. We all awarded the thriller openings a much lower grade then they were actually given. This was then a big surprise for us and gave us a little confident boost for when we produce our thriller opening.

When given a level 4 mark (the highest grade) these are some of the aims that the examiners are expected to see within the production: 

  • material appropriate for the target audience task
  • using titles appropriately according to institutional conventions
  • using sound with images and editing appropriately for the tasks set
  • shooting material appropaite to the task set, including controlled use of the camera, attention to framing, vartiety of shot distance and close attention to mise-en-scene
Here are some of the examples of the ones we watched:

'PEEK-A-BOO'

 

For this thriller opening, I marked it as a 2/3 mark band as I didn't think it met the mark band 4 criteria, But still wasn't ready to be in a mark band 3. I was particularly shocked when our teacher told us that they had gotten 46/50 as I thought it didn't really make much sense as at first it was filmed at night time and was dark and then when she went out at the same time it was light and I thought that there could of been more camera angles.


'HIDDEN'

 

Here is another thriller opening we watched which I personally feel like was the best out of all of them. This was marked 48/60 and I marked it as a level 4 mark band, as I think it met all the criteria. I can see why the examiner marked it at this level because you can see there was a lot of effort put into the production and editing as well as all the camera shots. I also thought this was good because it isn't like any I've seen before and is very original compared to most of the others. I'm glad this got the mark that it did because it is a really good foundation media product and if this was a thriller opening for real, I would definitely be engaged as it grabbed my attention throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment